Health, Safety and Environment
This page is used by the P&A Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) Committee. See also the UBC page on Health Safety and Environment.
- Important Contacts
- Had an Accident?
- Safety Training for New/Current Employees
- Chemical and Material Safety
- UBC Safety Programs
|In case of Emergency|
|Police, fire or ambulance||911|
|Other emergency numbers|
|hazardous materials response||911|
|emergency first aid||604-822-4444|
|poison control centre||604-682-5050|
|Campus Security (non-emergency)||604-822-8609|
|UBC Health, Safety and Environment||604-822-2029|
|RCMP UBC detachment||604-224-1322|
|Student Health Services
(M-F 8am-4pm except Thurs 9am-4pm)
|Trouble Calls (plant ops)||604-822-2173|
|UBC Hospital Urgent Care||604-822-7222|
|Vancouver Fire and Rescue Service||604-665-6000|
|Women Against Violence Against Women (WAVAW)||604-255-6344|
|First Aid Contacts|
|The spill cart in Room Hennings 208B|
Had an Accident?
Accident Reporting Forms (to be completed by supervisor and returned to PHAS administrator for all accidents).
- Lab Inspection should be completed by all lab supervisors every month
- The annual Safety Checklist should be completed by the HSE committee
- Contents of a First Aid Kit
Safety Training for New/Current Employees
- Safety Worker Orientation to be use in conjunction with training new employees
- Safety Information checklist for PHAS to be completed by each employee
Chemical and Material Safety
- UBC Chemical Inventory Form An MS-Excel spreadsheet.
- Materials Safety Data Sheets can be obtained from msdssearch.com
- Fire Extinguisher Servicing
- Broken Glassware
Chemical Waste Inventory System
The system has been upgraded. The new system requires an email and password, rendering it more secure. In addition, the system no longer requires users to complete their data entry in one session. To create your user account, please follow the link bellow: www.hse2.ubc.ca/wis/userapp/cwisapp.aspx
- Please contact Wegland Sit at 604-827-5389, or firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any questions regarding to account registration or update.
- Please contact Valeriy Kichenko at 604-822-6306, or email@example.com should you have any questions filling out the online chemical waste inventory form.
Hazardous materials disposal
- Gather info on all items to be disposed (chemical name, bottle quantity)
- Submit as much info as you have about the chemicals using the Online Waste Inventory Form
- In a few days, UBC HSE will contact you with instructions on how to separate and package the chemicals, and to arrange for pickup from your lab.
- That's it - fees for chemical waste removal for reasonable amounts of waste disposal are covered by the university-wide UBC HSE (not the PI's or the department).
- For further info contact: Bang Dang (firstname.lastname@example.org), ESF Technician, (604) 822-1285
Valeriy Kichenko (email@example.com), 604-822-6306.
- UBC HSE Chemical Waste Disposal Page
- Materials which are not recovered by HSE include radioactive materials, unknown chemicals, potentially explosive chemicals and lecture bottles of hazardous gases. Disposal costs for these will be paid by the generator. UBC HSE will forward information about other disposal procedures.
UBC Safety Programs
- Renovate Safely activities that include any modification of existing structures or physical elements are required to be managed by appropriate University group. See this link for more information