Northwest Section of the American Physical Society  
11th Annual Meeting
Weather Forecast

Cross your fingers, hope for sun, then check our live links to the local Vancouver weather forecasts: Environment Canada or Weather Network. Do they agree?

For our US friends, in Fahrenheit: Environment Canada or Weather Network.

Travel Information

Vancouver is easily accessed by plane, train or automobile.

Directions for driving to UBC, by road or arriving at Vancouver International Airport.

Translink is the public transportation system for Southern British Columbia.

Translink Bus Map of UBC/Downtown/Vancouver. (It takes 3 buses and about an hour to get to UBC from the airport on public transit. A taxi from the airport to UBC takes about 20 minutes and costs about $35, including tip).

Translink's Trip Planner type in addresses of your trip start and end points and this will tell you which Bus # to take, will map your route, and give you all time/schedule information for your trip, including where to transfer and connection time, if you need to take more than one bus.

Train - Amtrak Cascades

The Amtrak Cascades runs between Eugene (Oregon) and Vancouver, British Columbia daily (with stops in Eugene, Salem, Oregon City, Portland, Vancouver (Washington), Kelso, Centralia, Olympia, Tacoma, Tukwila, Seattle, Edmonds, Everett, Mount Vernon, and Bellingham - not all stops on all runs) See Amtrak Cascades Schedule.

Entry Requirements for Canada

US Citizens do not need a visa to visit Canada.

US Citizens arriving by air require a valid passport.

US Citizens arriving by Land, need either:

  • a valid passport,
  • or two documents to prove of citizenship and identity (see list below).
If this conference visit will keep you in Canada past June 1, 2009, you will need a valid passport, as new WHTI rules take effect on that date and the second option will no longer be in effect

U.S. Citizens arriving by Land - Single Document Option
One of the following documents should be presented to prove both identity and citizenship.

  • Acceptable Documents as of January 31, 2009:
    • U.S. or Canadian Passport
    • U.S. Passport Card (Available spring 2008)
    • Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST)
    • State or Provincial Issued Enhanced Driver's License ( NEW: this secure driver's license must denote BOTH identity and citizenship. Unless you have a very new driver's license, yours is probably not of the "enhanced" flavour)
    • Enhanced Tribal Cards (First Nations)
    • U.S. Military Identification with Military Travel Orders
    • U.S. Merchant Mariner Document
    • Native American Tribal Photo Identification Card
    • Form I-872 American Indian Card

U.S. Citizens arriving by Land - Two Document Option
All U.S. and Canadian citizens who do not have one of the documents from the list above must present BOTH an identification document and a citizenship document, one from each section listed below.

  • Identification Documents
    • Driver's license or identification card issued by a federal, state, provincial, county, territory, or municipal authority
    • U.S. or Canadian military identification card
    All identification documents must have a photo, name and date of birth.
  • Citizenship Documents
    • U.S. or Canadian birth certificate issued by a federal, state, provincial, county, territory or municipal authority
    • U.S. Consular report of birth abroad
    • U.S. Certificate of Naturalization
    • U.S. Certificate of Citizenship
    • U.S. Citizen Identification Card
U.S. and Canadian Citizens - Procedures for Children
  • Effective January 31, 2008, U.S. and Canadian citizen children ages 18 and under will be expected to present a birth certificate issued by a federal, state, provincial, county or municipal authority.
  • For Travelers Other than U.S. and Canadian Citizens: All existing nonimmigrant visa and passport requirements will remain in effect and will not be altered by the changes that were implemented on January 31, 2008.
  • U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents: Permanent Resident Card (I-551) or other valid evidence of lawful permanent residence is required.
  • Mexican Citizens: Mexican citizens, including children, must present a valid passport and a B-1/B-2 nonimmigrant visa or a Border Crossing Card.
  • Know Your Destination Country Document Requirements: It is strongly recommended that all travelers leaving the U.S. verify their documentary requirements for Canada.
  • Travelers who do not present one of the documents listed may be delayed at U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers attempt to verify their citizenship and identity (and will likely be turned back at the border)

    Travelers Arriving from the US --- click here

    International Visitors to Canada --- click here

    Travelers With Children --- click here

    Customs & Duty --- click here

    Travelers Arriving from the US

    Traveling by Air
    As of January 23, 2007 a passport is required for air travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.

    Traveling by Land or Sea
    U.S. and Canadian citizens will need to present either a Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document, or a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, plus proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.

    By June 1, 2009, or earlier, the WHTI will require anyone, including U.S. citizens, entering or re-entering the United States by land and sea to have a passport or other appropriate secure document.

    However, beginning January 31, 2008, entry into the U.S. via land and sea border crossings will require either a passport or proof of citizenship (e.g. birth certificate) and a government-issued photo ID (e.g. driver license).

    For Washington State Residents
    Beginning January 2008 the Washington State Department of Licensing has offered an Enhanced Driver License (EDL) for WA residents. The EDL is an approved alternative travel document, to a U.S. Passport, for re-entry into the U.S. at land and sea borders between U.S., Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean. Visit Washington State Department of Licensing for the most up-to-date and detailed information.

    U.S. visitors, for entry into Canada by land or sea, will still be required to present proof of citizenship in addition to an EDL.

    **Please note that many several other border states are also developing Enhanced Driver Licenses. For more information visit U.S. Department of Homeland Security.


    Visit the U.S. Department of State website frequently for international travel updates.

    For detailed information about obtaining or renewing your U.S. passport, visit the U.S. Department of State, Passport Services Office, or access U.S. passport application services from the United States Postal Service.

    Anyone with a criminal record (including a DWI charge) should contact the Canadian Embassy or nearest Consulate General before travel.

    For detailed information on entry requirements, including medical exams, working or studying in Canada, and what you are permitted to bring into Canada, visit the Canada International website.

    Canada-US Border Requirements Toolkit.

    >>> back to the top

    International Visitors to Canada

    International visitors to Canada (not U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents) must carry a valid passport and, if required, a visa. Citizens from the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Mexico, Japan, the Republic of Korea, Australia and others do not require a visa to enter Canada. Visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website for a complete listing of countries whose citizens require visas to enter Canada.

    All other visitors should contact their Canadian consulate or embassy to learn what documents are required. Contact information for Canadian embassies around the world can be found at the Foreign Affairs Canada website.

    To learn more about Canadian customs regulations, visit the Canada Border Services Agency website.

    >>> back to the top

    Travelers With Children

    If you are traveling with children, you must carry identification, such as a birth certificate, proof of citizenship or student visa for each child under 18 years old. Divorced parents who share custody of their children should carry copies of the legal custody documents. Adults who are not parents or guardians must have written permission from the parents or guardians to accompany the children.

    Customs officers are often looking for missing children and may ask questions about the children who are traveling with you.

    >>> back to the top

    Customs & Duty

    Visitors are allowed to bring certain goods as part of their "personal baggage", but some products are limited and, in some cases, prohibited by Canada Customs.

    Products that are banned include obscene materials, hate propaganda, most weapons and firearms and goods harmful to the environment.

    >>> back to the top

    Returning Home

    The following is a guideline for visitors returning home from Canada and may change at any time. Contact your local embassy or consulate, before returning home, if you are unsure of an item you are bringing back home.

    USA Residents--Every 30 days, returning U.S. Citizens are allowed to bring back duty free $400 worth of retail merchandise, provided they have been outside the U.S. for 48 hours. If the length of stay is less than 48 hours, $200 worth of merchandise may be taken back to the USA.

    >>> back to the top