The Astronomy Club Annual General Meeting will be held on Monday, March 7th, 2016 from 18:00 to 20:00 in Hennings 312. This meeting is required for all those that wish to hold a position on the Astronomy Club council this coming year. The first 30 minutes will consist of a vote on constitutional changes, which will be immediately followed by a vote on all positions available in the executive and council. If you are interested in pursuing a greater role in the Astronomy Club, this is your chance!There are plenty of positions, so if you would like to get involved, we will try our best to incorporate you. Be sure to send me an email if you have any questions
The following is a list of all positions available in the club, with their descriptions (as outlined in the astronomy club constitution). Do note that we will be voting on a series of amendments to add, remove and change certain roles, so this list is not guaranteed to hold in its entirety come the start of voting.
– Oversees all Astronomy Club activities.
– Calls all Astronomy Club meetings to order and presides as the chairperson of those meetings — or delegates such duties to one of the Vice-Presidents.
– Represents and acts for the Astronomy Club, maintaining a liaison with PHAS, AMS, Physsoc, BPSS, and the Astronomy Community at large.
– Writes an agenda before every meeting and sends it out at least 24 hours prior to the meeting.
– Acts as the administrator for the club mailing list.
2.2. Vice-President Academic
– Oversees all Astronomy Club academic operations.
– Provides an opportunity for undergraduates to learn about astronomy research and careers.
– Organizes an annual Mini-Conference for students to present their research or projects.
– Coordinates with Physsoc and BPSS to organize the PHAS Career Night.
2.3. Vice-President External
– Liaison between the club and other local astronomy groups such as RASC Vancouver, SFU Starry Nights, FVAS, and the Planetary Society, etc.
– Regularly check the email and bring up possibilities for events that have come up to the council
2.4. Vice-President Finance
– Oversees Astronomy Club’s funds.
– In conjunction with the President, creates a budget for the entire upcoming academic year and submits it to the AMS before the deadline.
– Makes deposits and withdrawals and writes cheques on behalf of the club.
– Get receipts from Councillors and makes sure they are reimbursed.
2.5. Vice-President Observational
– Maintains, repairs, knows how to use, and teaches others how to use the Astronomy Club’s equipment.
– Maintains contact with equipment-related sponsors.
– Spearheads the acquisition of new equipment.
– Organizes and hosts Star Parties.
2.6. Vice-President Social
– Oversees all Astronomy Club social operations.
– Organizes social and networking opportunities for Astronomy Club members, including those preceding Star Parties.
– Collaborates with other clubs to organize larger events.
– Keeps accurate minutes of all Astronomy Club Meetings and ensures that these minutes are sent to all Councillors no later than 48 hours after the meeting.
– Compiles a membership list online and an email list to send to the President.
– Monitors attendance at all events and writes an event summary for every event consisting of the date and time, collaboration information, attendance, and revenues and expenditures.
3. Non-Executive Roles:
3.1. Academic Coordinator
– Assists the Vice-President Academic in the latter’s duties.
3.2. General Officer
– Assists in organizing and running events.
3.3. Marketing and Promotions Coordinator
– Creates advertisements to promote Astronomy Club events.
– Takes photos and/or videos of Astronomy Club events and astronomical objects.
– In conjunction with the Webmaster(s) and the Marketing and Promotions Coordinator(s), posts the photos/videos on the Astronomy Club’s website and Facebook page.
3.5. Social Coordinator
– Assists the Vice-President Social in the latter’s duties.
3.6. SUS Representative
Attends SUS meetings and informs the council of SUS activities.
Acts as a liaison between SUS and the Astronomy Club.
Maintains and updates the Astronomy Club website.
Expands and innovates the website as needed.
Provides advice to the current Council.
5. Other Roles:
5.1. Booking Representative
Books rooms for Astronomy Club events.
5.2. Sustainability Representative
Acts to improve the sustainability practices of the Astronomy Club.